Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Elizabeth Taylor Eating Chicken (1966)


Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (Mike Nichols, 1966) 

Starring Elizabeth Taylor as Martha and Richard Burton as George, this scene arrives early in the film adaptation of Edward Albee's play. And as soon as I saw Dame Elizabeth inhaling a chicken drumstick while trying to place a line of Bette Davis' dialogue I knew that I would rate the film very highly. It's a deglamorised role for Taylor, sure, but she invests so much character into every line reading and every slumping gesture that it ranks as one of her best embodiments of a diva on film. I mean, looking at the stills above, how diverse are the expressions conveyed whilst holding a late night snack?

Look at the still below, which is taken from when George and Martha come home drunk at the beginning of the film. Everything you need to know about their relationship, about Martha's dour assertiveness and her desire to rather be anywhere but home is nailed in one bitchy squint that greets the hall light switching on.


Woman was a goddess, and this is a vital screen performance that is utterly captivating and brilliantly quotable. And to end on a further high, if you click here and here you will find two of Elizabeth Taylor's chicken recipes. 

Could you imagine a better way of relishing this performance in the comfort of your home than with one of these (or both) as an accompaniment? I for one can't wait to go home and wave a drumstick around as I emote (which I do far far less than I would like to).

1 comment:

  1. I should note that in the last frame she is throwing her half-eaten bone back into the fridge. What a DUMP.

    ReplyDelete